February 17, 2008

About Prayer (3)

A Sufi saint set out on a pilgrimage to Mecca. At the outskirtsof the city he lay down by the road, exhausted from his journey. He had barely fallen asleep when he was brusquely awakened
by an irate pilgrim. "This is the time when all believers bow their heads toward Mecca and you have your feet pointing toward the holy shrine. What sort of Muslim are you?"

The Sufi did not move; her merely opened his eyes and said, "Brother, would you do me the favor of placing my feet where they won't be pointing to the Lord?"

The Prayer of a devotee to the Lord Vishnu:
"Lord, I ask you to pardon me for three major sins: first, I went on pilgrimage to your many shrines, oblivious of your presence everywhere; second, I so often cried to you for help, forgetting that you are more concerned than I am about my welfare; and finally, here I am asking for forgiveness when I know that our sins are forgiven before we commit them."

Anthony de Mello

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments:

 

© blogger templates 3 column | Webtalks | Wisdom Story | www-LAPTOP | Privacy Policy